Our media centre has all the latest news, publications and resources available from the HyFlexFuel project.
- Advanced biofuel breakthrough: HyFlexFuel converted sewage sludge and other biomasses into kerosene by hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL), Press Release 22 June 2021, Link
- In September 2019, a blog article promoting the project and a joint workshop has been published in BeSustainable magazine: Sustainable fuel production via hydrothermal liquefaction of various organic feedstock – The HyFlexFuel project
- Five European H2020 projects and the Norwegian National Centre Bio4Fuels are organising an expert workshop, for more information please download the teaser here
- Download our HyFlexFuel Project Logo
- In July 2018, the project featured in the magazine BeSustainable: HyFlexFuel: Sustainable fuel from wastes, residues and advanced energy crops
- For copyright information click here
Lab-scale turbine to test the produced sustainable aviation fuels. Photo: Muhammad Salman Haider. Copyright: Aalborg University
Sewage sludge for conversion into biocrude at Aarhus University HTL pilot plant.
Copyright: Aarhus University
Deliverable D1.3 Regional feedstock potentials and preference regions for HTL projects
Deliverable 1.3 describes the methodological approach and results of the spatially explicit quantification of 14 single biomass feedstocks, which are of high relevance for hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) processes. Analysis are based on the geographic extent of the European Union and preference regions are highlighted in cartographic visualizations.
Flyer and Communication material
Download our HyFlexFuel Project Flyer
Aerodays brochure: HyFlexFuel can be found on page 20.
- Presentions from our Final HTL Expert Workshop can be found here.
- Presentions from our Joint HTL Expert Workshop can be found here.
- The HyFlexFuel project was presented at the 14th SDEWES conference 2019 in Dubrovnik by Thomas Horshing “Spatially explicit assessment of local HTL potential from urban waste streams in Europe”
- The HyFlexFuel project was presented at EUBCE 2018 Conference in Denmark by Kostas Anastasakis from Aarhus University
“Assessing Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Lignocellulosic Biomass, Microalgae and Sewage Sludge at Pilot Scale” by K. Anastasakis, I. Johannsen, R. B. Madsen, P. Biller
- The HyFlexFuel project was presented at the 4th Forum on Hydrothermal Processes | September 19th/20th, 2018 in Leipzig (Germany)
“Technologies generating material and energetic added value” by A. Rot
- B. Madsen, K. Anastasakis, P. Biller, M. Glasius, Rapid Determination of Water, Total Acid Number, and Phenolic Content in Bio-Crude from Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Biomass using FT-IR, Energy & Fuels 2018, 32(7), 7660-7669; here
- K. Anastasakis, P. Biller, R. B. Madsen, M. Glasius, I. Johannsen, Continuous Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Biomass in a Novel Pilot Plant with Heat Recovery and Hydraulic Oscillation, Energies 2018, 11(10), 2695; here
- M. S. Haider, D. Castello, K. M. Michalski, T. H. Pedersen, L. A. Rosendahl, Catalytic Hydrotreament of Microalgae Biocrude from Continous Hydrothermal Liquefaction: Heteroatom Removal and Their Distribution in Distillation Cuts, Energies 2018, 11, 3360; here
- D. Castello, M. S. Haider, L. A. Rosendahl, Catalytic upgrading of hydrothermal liquefaction biocrudes: Different challenges for different feedstocks, Renewable Energy 2019, 141, 420-430 ; here
- R.B. Madsen and M. Glasius, How do hydrothermal liquefaction conditions and feedstock type influence product distribution and elemental composition?, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2019, 58, 17583-17600; here
- E. Ovsyannikova, A. Kruse, G.C. Becker, Feedstock-Dependent Phosphate Recovery in a Pilot-Scale Hydrothermal Liquefaction Bio-Crude Production, Energies 2020, 13, 379; here
- M.S. Haider, D. Castello, L.A. Rosendahl, Two-stage catalytic hydrotreatment of highly nitrogenous biocrude from continuous hydrothermal liquefaction: A rational design of the stabilization stage, Biomass and Bioenergy 2020, 139, 105658; here
- L. Thomsen, P.N. Carvalho, J. Souza Dos Passos, K. Anastasakis, K. Bester, P. Biller, Hydrothermal liquefaction of sewage sludge; energy considerations and fate of micropollutants during pilot scale processing, Water Research 2020, 183; here
- C. Penke, L. Moser, V. Batteiger, Modeling of cost optimized process integration of HTL fuel production, Biomass and Bioenergy 2021, 151, 106123; here